Monday, August 3, 2015

Houston we have a problem - Foundation Concerns

On July 30th I contacted my Ryan Homes team to question 1) why our basement doesn't have the diagonal wall that is shown on the Ryan Homes website floor plan and 2) Where is the foundation pocket spot for the support I-beam.  Here is the response I received:

"The foundation wall now steps that corner section (as you see on your home), as opposed to being an angled wall there. With that, there is a stanchion post instead of the beam pocket."

I didn't feel comfortable with the response from our project manager as all I felt he did was state the obvious and didn't explain why our house doesn't have a foundation to support the I-Beam and why our foundation doesn't support the diagonal wall on the first floor.  I emailed them the follow up email:

"1)    noted that the “foundation wall now steps that corner section (as you see on your home), as opposed to being an angled wall there.”  Can you explain why this change was made to our house and why it deviated from the floor plan listed on the Ryan Homes website and the one we purchased:  (Floorplan at: http://www.ryanhomes.com/file-grab/8202e89f-b5a9-4458-8cbf-ae25fb059b89)  Is this a change in the master floor plan at Ryan Homes?
2)      Can you explain why the I-Beam will be on a steel post and not in a pocket built into the foundation?  I would think sitting the beam on the foundation is preferred over a post that can be removed.
3)      Does this change affect the diagonal wall on the first floor?
4)      If you are using a different floor plan than ours, can we get a copy of it?
5)      Is there a list of other changes Ryan Homes made to their floor plans that will cause a change to ours?
The diagonal wall was a neat feature of the house.  I would like it if you can expand on it more why it's not there."

This email went without response.  So I called the office and expressed concern over why my house id different from 1) The plans listed online and I can't compare it to my plans as Ryan Homes refuses to provide me with prints on my house, 2) my Landon is different from two recent Landons made in the area one being started a week ahead of ours.

I was asked to send another email that the sales rep can send to the new project manager.  On Friday the 31st, I sent the following email including pictures:

"Thanks for taking the time to talk to me over my concerns about a possible foundation error.

I am including a few files supporting my concern that the foundation wall was formed incorrectly to plan.  The files included are:

1) The original floor plan from the Ryan Homes website where I circled the missing diagonal section and foundation beam support.

2) A picture of the foundation of a Landon being built by Ryan Homes in Oakbrooke/Cecil PA which was poured a week before ours.

3) A picture of a landon footer built in Twinsburg, OH showing the diagonal footer that was poured May 2015.

4) A picture of CX0623 showing the lack of a diagonal wall and foundation beam pocket.  Our foundation is not consistent with any of the other Landons and plans shown online.


I have a lot of concern over why this was done different from the plan. 

I'll be stopping past tomorrow.  Please let me know if you find anything out on why our foundation is different."

I received several responses from this.  The new project manager called me Friday around 5:15 saying he would look into it.  He noted he hadn't fully been brought up to date on my house yet as he just started this week.  (Our current Project Manager moved or resigned)  He said he would look into it and give me a call next week and to rest assure if it is wrong they will stop building until a fix is found.

I also received another email from the other sales rep on Sunday and she actually lives in a Landon her self that was made I suspect a year ago.  Here is her response:

" I’m sure that your new project manager, Geoff, will explain this, but I figured I would give you some peace of mind until you get a chance to speak with him. 

When the HVAC system was redesigned for the 2 zone, 1 furnace system instead of the 2 zone, 2 furnace system, the diagonal wall in the basement foundation was changed to accommodate the new furnace system.  However, the diagonal wall design will remain on the first floor.  You would still be able to do the diagonal wall in the basement when you frame out the basement.  This is actually what we did in our house, but modified it a little bit to fit our bar design.  The one that you purchase was based off of the newer blueprints.  Unfortunately, the marketing department has not caught up the general floorplans with the change, so the floorplans that are currently online do not illustrate it, but the blueprints that we have here in the office do show the new foundation.  The online floorplans are also just used for marketing purposes and do not show many of the details that the blueprints do.  I have attached a copy of the basement blueprint page so that you have it for your reference.  Hopefully that helps to answer some of your questions."

I still don't have the warm and fuzzy.  My concern is because of a Landon being built a week ahead of mine and he experienced something similar.  His footer was poured with the square design like mine, but was changed to diagonal after inquiring of the project manager. Here is a comment a fellow Ryan Homes Landon Blogger left on my page on July 30th:

"yeah they did make the mistake in the footer on mine, but I noticed it when I was looking at the drawings, so I questioned my PM. After looking into it he said they had used old drawings and not the ones they gave them, but they would correct it when they poured the walls which they did. In the older version he said they didn't do the diagonal wall in the basement and just framed the diagonal on the first floor. I'm curious as what they will do in your case."

Here is pictures showing his wrong footer and corrected diagonal wall.

I'm supposed to get a call from the new project manager.  Our sales rep made it sound like the square design is the "New" plan and the diagonal wall is the "Old" plan which would mean one of us currently building a Landon is not getting the truth.  Also, her email makes it sound like her Landon had the square design, so why are newer builds getting the diagonal design with Ibeam foundation support?

I hope something positive comes out of this.




11 comments:

  1. I suppose one of us is right, but why did they change mine to the diagonal? to appease me? who knows, but the drawings I found on the ground showed it and my project manager said he had it out with the crew that did the footer on not using those drawings. I'm sure either way they will make it right, and you did say that yours would have 1 furnace with 2 zones while I was always told I'd have 2 furnaces. We bought ours back in March so I guess if things changed since then they would tell us, but I haven't heard otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how or why the foundation wall would have anything to do with the furnace/AC. If my one furnace system would take up more space, I would think they would want the diagonal to increase square footage. I guess I have to wait until I hear from our new PM, but clearly one of us isn't getting the real truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. twinsburg actually has the 2 zone, 1 furnace system in his, and from looking at his they ended up building out a section in the ceiling in the garage. So I can kind of see why they did what they did now so that whole wall is bumped out rather than just a small section of it. Here is an image, although I'm not sure if you can see it now as his site seems to be private now: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ezGljwqAe7s/VWe0eV6pNpI/AAAAAAAATL0/Tp4C_5Vuyns/s1600/D24_Garage07.JPG

      Delete
    2. If you look at the drawing you have under electrical on this post, http://thelovelyladieslandon.blogspot.com/2015/06/whilrwind.html your foundation is done right. they did make the change to HVAC system but we got in before that change. So I think ours uses older drawings and I misunderstood my PM in that they were probably using newer ones instead of the older ones for the dual HVAC setup. So with that said I think yours is correct for the single HVAC 2 zone setup.

      Delete
  3. I actually saw that as well, but noticed the basement diagonal was still being shown on the online floor plan. Ryan Homes doesn't provide us a full copy of our plans, or even a summary breakdown, so it's hard to know what is being done correctly and what isn't. All we have to go on is the online floor plans since Ryan Homes doesn't provide us other documentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah the online floor plans are dated themselves and don't match the drawings that they showed us and that I took pictures of. So I think its safe to say that yours is done correctly for the new way they are doing it and it was just that since we purchased back in March we have the previous way and since thats what they showed us thats what they have to build. I'm sure if I didn't say anything they would have built it the new way.

      Delete
    2. I know they mentioned a survey at the end of the build and sale of how they did. Our sales reps said if there is anything that wont get them a 10, please let them know. So far the total lack of communication from our PM, not giving us plans of our house, no explaining the variance between the floorplan we have and the one they are using, etc.......they aren't earning their 10. The new project manager told me Friday he would look into the foundation question and then call me Monday. I didn't get a call yesterday.

      Delete
    3. yeah this is our second time building with ryan homes and needless to say I'm not surprised with any of this. We hesitated building with them again, but we loved the landon model. They were supposed to start framing ours yesterday and low and behold the framers no-showed. This in combination with the fact our start was delayed 3-weeks since they screwed up with not having our front-porch option selected is really getting frustrated considering we close on our current home sept. 25th.

      Delete
    4. I know this is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience, but it's been more stressful and frustrating than anything else. I don't think NVR is trying to give us a great deal on a loan, I have unrealistic buyers looking at my house who don't like my steep driveway, and now I'm worried our foundation was poured in error.

      Delete
  4. TX Foundation Repair Company Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miami foundation repair Company You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this...

    ReplyDelete