Thursday, August 6, 2015

Change, Change, Change

Yesterday I received an email from our PM asking for a good time to speak today.  We set up a call for 9am to discuss my foundation concerns and questions.  (See this blog entry for the problem:  http://thelovelyladieslandon.blogspot.com/2015/08/foundation-concerns.html)

Our new PM basically told me the variance in my foundation is because of the HVAC change.  Our Landon has a 1 furnace 2 zone system compared to the prior 2 furnace 2 zone Landon models.  The prior model had 1 furnace in the basement and one in the attic which required less ductwork.  Since we have 1 furnace that has to cover 2 zones, we have extra ductwork coming up from the basement.  This requires more space and why our I-Beam structure support ends and doesn't sit on the foundation wall.  Basically that space is needed to run a ductwork up to the 2nd floor.  Ryan Homes makes sure the pipe support sits in a hole left in the concrete and is bolted to the I-Beam.  While I would have rather had the I-beam sitting on the foundation, I confirmed with one of our architects that this is fine.

The diagonal wall was removed in the basement because it made the 3rd car garage too small to actually fit a model sized car.  I know it is smaller and we planned to store our motorcycle there and our lawnmower.  We lost a small amount of internal square footage but gained some usable space in the garage.

The new PM took his time to answer and explain things to me.  It was much appreciated.  Our sales rep noted that the marketing floor plans don't always match that of the actual floor plan.  I think this is something Ryan Homes should work on, or at least point out differences in the pre-construction meeting.

7 comments:

  1. glad they got it resolved. as for them saying that garage is too small with the diagonal wall I wouldn't say that. The bay is just over 21ft deep and the diagonal cuts that down about 3ft. So you still have 18ft to fit a car in there. To put that in perspective, an SUV like a Ford Explorer is 16.5ft long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's big enough for my motorcycle and lawn mower.

    Good news is we might start framing Monday or sooner. Bad news, I have yet to find a buyer for my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I didn't know there was another Landon being built up your way. I might have to drive past and look at the change. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a few weeks away from closing

      Delete
  4. The single bay will be fine for your plans. However, it could be a tight entry for a modern car/SUV. We have older Camry's and they just fit from a width/entry perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner drives a small Nissan and that thing would fit but be tight.

      Delete