Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Playing in the dirt

I figured they would knock the forms off and start on the utilities.  They had that and more since the last time we stopped past.  They knocked off the forms, removed the foam indentures, placed gravel and drain pipes, installed the water proofing coating and trenched the path to the street for utilities.  They also back filled the porch and garage with soil and gravel for the base for the basement floor.  I have a feeling they will be pouring the basement floor and maybe the garage floor this week and have the foundation ready for framing the first floor next week.  The email last week from our PM noted that they ordered the framing and should be here next week.  The Landon is moving along.

I did noticed two things that have me kind of concerned.  They are:
1) The Landon model has a diagonal section of wall in the basement that continues to the first floor.  When they poured the foundation, they did not include this feature.  I'm not sure it's important, but now I wonder how they plan to create the same diagonal wall in the kitchen and great room area where it was a nice neat feature.
2) I see the notch for the I-Beam on the exterior wall but no corresponding notch for the other side.  The wall should have an intent near the missing diagonal wall but it doesn't.  I'm not sure if they are going to brick up a column or cut out a notch.

I have an email to the project manager to ask him what caused this change.  Hopefully the foundation sub didn't mess this up as I'm not sure how they would fix this.

Now times for pictures:

Missing Diagonal

Progress Photos







10 comments:

  1. yeah they did make the mistake in the footer on mine, but I noticed it when I was looking at the drawings, so I questioned my PM. After looking into it he said they had used old drawings and not the ones they gave them, but they would correct it when they poured the walls which they did. In the older version he said they didn't do the diagonal wall in the basement and just framed the diagonal on the first floor. I'm curious as what they will do in your case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of suspected someone screwed up and their response makes it sound like it's a new feature. Sad no one is owning up to it.

      Delete
    2. what are they telling you? how did the drawings look when they showed them to you at pre-construction? that's what they are supposed to use.

      Delete
    3. Of course they didn't give us a copy of any of the plans or drawings on the house even though I asked for a set. If you look at the current Ryan Homes Landon floorplan on their website, they still show the diagonal wall for the basement.

      Here was their response to my questions, "The foundation wall now steps that corner section (as you see on your home), as opposed to being an angled wall there. With that, there is a stanchion post instead of the beam pocket."

      It's pretty disturbing that your landon is a week ahead of mine and we are both in Pittsburgh and they didn't do the diagonal wall for mine.

      Delete
    4. yeah I have no idea. I didn't like that it took away from the garage by doing that. so either my PM had it wrong and that is the new way of doing it or they are just making things up. sucks ours is just sitting there because apparently there are no available framing crews anywhere.

      Delete
    5. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Vba25SDYtcY/VZ5lgh2Vh2I/AAAAAAAAIBA/3DBoA-QxMfQ/s1600/IMG_0126.JPG

      Delete
    6. Our PM refused to give us a copy. I dont like that the removal of the diagonal wall took away from basement square footage and that the I-Beam will be resting on top of a post instead of the foundation wall. From all that I read, I-beams on foundation are more secure.

      I saw your Landon was on hold. Is it in Cranberry?

      Delete
    7. Well they didn't give us a copy. I found that laying on the ground after they poured the footers. I took pictures of all the other ones when I had a chance. But they did give me a copy of all the electrical drawings.

      We are in cecil twp, near canonsburg.

      Delete
  2. Here is my full write up:
    http://thelovelyladieslandon.blogspot.com/2015/08/foundation-concerns.html

    ReplyDelete