Thursday, August 27, 2015

Let's wrap it up

Last's night visit was pretty cool.  The 2nd floor walls were installed.  The external and internal walls all were installed and I was able to walk around.  It reminded me how big this house will be compared to our existing home.

When I arrived, the HVAC guy was there.  He noted he likes to walk through a house a week before his crew comes in.  He told me we were scheduled for HVAC on Wednesday.  He said our neighbor's house will be ready since they have their trusses up, and we might be close.  He said if the weather stays nice they should be able to have the roof on and he can install.  Considering they have 4 business days to put the trusses on and the decking......seems doable.

I noticed a few odd things last night.  1) Two installed joists were removed and a temporary 2x4 structure put into place.  It was odd because they cut them out and left the joist hangers on the beams.  The HVAC guy noted sometimes they do this to replace a bad joist damaged in production/shipping/installation.  2) We have some more serious gaps between the wall sections.  The corner in the master bedroom has a crack and it looks like their staples didn't even hit the 2x4 corner.  3) The walk in closets were requested to be made the same size in the pre-con meeting.  They are framed different sizes and will need changed.  4) There are big gaps where the morning room beam sits. 5) The put vapor barrier on the 2nd floor before the first.  I find this odd as the first floor vapor barrier should be under the 2nd floor so water cant get between the barrier and the plywood.

I have been shopping around financing.  NVR was actually looking pretty good when I compared the big picture.  they give you a credit to use them but their rate tends to be slightly higher.  Our NVR rep gave us a pretty decent rate and I emailed her to lock in the rate.  She replied that she isn't sure if we can lock in a rate yet and I assured her we could as we were on build day 45 and have 50to60 days left which is under the 90 day lock in.  NVR said they will confirm and get back to me the next day to lock in.  The next day came and I got an email from NVR letting me know I am clearing in my "lock-in" window, but the rate moved up.  The increase in the rate due to NVR inability to quickly figure out if I can lock will cost me 18,000 more in interest.  I'm not happy that our loan officer wont honor the rate I was trying to get and missed it because of their delay to find out if I can lock in.

Our house showings have really slowed down even with a reduction of the asking price by another 4k.  The couple who were considering it must have wanted more of a price reduction.  They are comparing my home to another and while it's newer and flatter, the other house is more expensive, further from stuff, smaller, doesn't have a 2nd bathroom, 2nd deck, hot tub or a finished basement.  I almost want to pitch an offer to them that if they buy at the current price and buy, I will stay after closing and remodel and update the basement bathroom which they feel needs updated to use.  (It's total bullshit as the all plumber works fine, it just looks like a 1960's tile bathroom)  We have an open house Sunday and if nothing comes from it, it looks like we will have to have another price reduction.

Some pictures to entertain you.....


Removed Joists


Missed framing the closets the same size


The corner with a huge gap in between the plywood and stud


Internal of the same corner


Weird open area over the morning room

Another gap in framing.

Piles of dirt ready to be put back


No comments:

Post a Comment