Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Patience Grasshopper.... Patience

Things are starting to come together and the next major hurdle is to lock in a rate.  I attempted to lock in a rate back on August 24th when NVR was offering 3.875 which was a pretty darn good rate.  Sadly Ryan Homes never responded to requests to confirm a closing date and NVR couldn’t lock me in.  The daily change in rates can cost 10’s of thousands of dollars over the life of the debt.  At one point NVR said I could buy down the rate for 4,000 and be closer to the rate I lost…..costing me an additional 14k……I think not.

Ryan Homes and NVR agreed to give me 1.5 points to buy down the rate to lower it closer to what I tried to lock in.  It hasn’t been close to the rate yet and each day I watch and wait looking for the rates to drop some.  Currently they still have me paying 1k to get back to the rate they failed to lock in.
I have a feeling tomorrow will be a good rate day.  The mortgage rates used by NVR come out daily are based on the rates of the 10 year Treasury note.  I found a direct correlation between the rates offers by NVR and rise or fall of the 10 year Treasury note rate.  Today the 10 year Treasury note dropped almost to the point where it was back in August 24th.   

Here is the trick, NVR requires you to lock in by 4:30pm.  You can pull up the 10 year Treasury note and determine if the rate is going up or down for the current day.  If the rates drop during the day of the 10 year Treasury note it is likely that NVR rates tomorrow will be better than the rates they gave you today.

Patience is key here.

Our current home has its home inspection this Friday.  It’s been a good house but it’s over 60 years old and I worry something I don’t know may be wrong with it.  I can’t imagine anything serious will come but considering how bad of an experience it has been to sell my house I plan on it not being fun.  I also think a lot of home inspectors include things just to make sure they cover their own butt.  Hopefully nothing serious comes up and the buyer doesn’t over react and argue over things.
The landon is moving along at a slow pace.  We went up this weekend and they only had the first coat of tape up.  All of the corners were untouched.  There isn’t as much to do now since the guts are all covered.  I’m trying to stay focus on the final sale of my house and packing.  Hopefully the garage will get emptied and I can sneak in there and paint it before they lock me out.

We sent our PM some punch list items last week and have not heard from him.  There is totally a copper pipe with no support floating free in the wall.  The plumber removed the support when he put in the vent and didn’t put the support back.  Now that they have drywall up, I’m not sure how they plan to fix it.  They also put my AC compressor rough in on the wrong side of the house.  This is a pretty big issue as we wanted our noisy AC unit to be on the small side of our lot away from our usable yard.  They confirmed this in the Pre-Con meeting.  I am sure this was an oversight and hopefully something they can change.  We found a dent in our garage door that is highly noticeable.  I have a feeling they installed it so there is a door and will fix it, but we wanted to make sure we put it on the list.  Guardian told me they would move a speaker for me and they didn’t so the wire was plastered over.

We are just about 1 month away from closing.

Now for pictures







No comments:

Post a Comment